Monday 30 April 2012

The food


Above is my typical lunch from the hospital canteen.  That's chicken, rice, pumpkin, matooke (mashed green plantain) all for 7000 shillings ($2.80!!!!).  After a while, it has gotten a bit tired but it's cheap and keeps me full. 

A 4000 shilling snack (drink included, $1.60!!!)

It's no secret that I like to eat. I'm still navigating my way through the culinary landscape in Kampala. Thus far, it has been a mixed bag.  Sometimes, the restaurant menus are a wish list of suggestions.  Most things won't be available.  And you won't find this out until about 30 minutes after putting in your order.  It's never a good scene to let hungry Sheryl know 30 minutes after her order is placed that she won't be getting her food.

There are both some familiar and unfamiliar things.  Some of the foods (especially matooke), remind me of things from my Jamaican roots.  Indian restaurants abound, which is great for me.  I still, however, have not found anything that has blown me away.  Admittedly, I am a food snob, so that makes things difficult.  I will continue my quest to find fabulous dishes in Kampala.

No comments:

Post a Comment