Saturday 21 April 2012

It's Saturday night, what's a girl to do????

Today was a fun filled day at the Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary located on an island south of Kampala near another city named Entebbe.  It is a safe place for orphaned chimps who have been confiscated from people keeping them as pets or trying to sell them for various other reasons. The chimps were social and do display some human-like tendencies including males mating with multiple females, fighting over "politics" and working to overthrow the alpha male in charge.  It was alot of fun and very educational.    



I got back to my flat around 7 pm and made dinner (rosemary steak and cabbage with pepper/carrots/onions- Yummy!!).  And now I'm stuck.  One of the drawbacks of moving out of the shared flat is that it is a lot more difficult to hang out with the other program participants. The public transportation system is not well developed and getting to most places would require taking a "special hire" (a.k.a. a cab). And while I've been told it's safe to walk around Kampala at night, I'm not ready to do that.  

So instead of a night on the town, I'll be curled up with "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and watching Wolf Blitzer.  This is far from the excitement I was hoping for.  Next week will have to be better!


1 comment:

  1. Love the pics of the chimps! I'm sure you will get to experience the nightlife there. Just be safe!

    ReplyDelete